Surround Air MT-8500 Ionizer with HEPA Filter and Germicidal UV Lamp
The Surround Air MT-8500 bills itself as six proven air cleaning technologies in one unit to deal with virtually every kind of airborne allergen and pollution.
The six technologies used in this advanced ionizing air purifier are:
- A true HEPA filter, as recommended by the US Center for Disease Control, to provide effective filtering for allergens like mold toxins, dust mites, pollen, pet dander and many other airborne particles.
- An antibacterial pre-filter to extend the life of the HEPA filter.
- An activated carbon filter for airborne chemicals, cigarette smoke and other gasses and odors.
- A germicidal UV lamp to destroy microorganisms like bacteria, viruses, yeasts and mold spores.
- A programmable sanitizer to neutralize powerful odors like pet odors, tobacco smoke and cooking smells. This optional function does utilize ozone, but it is a programmable setting that you have to choose. Otherwise, the manufacturers report no detectable ozone output and this air ioniser is certified safe in California.
- Lastly, the Surround Air Multitech comes with a built-in negative ion generator. They list this ionic air purifier’s negative ion output at 12,000,000/cm3 (trillions per second), and because this unit circulates air in the room to clean it, these ions would be distributed more evenly than the previous two models.
If you’re looking for a good all-in-one air purifier and ionizer without ozone (unless you choose it), with numerous proven air cleaning technologies at a much lower price than most of its competitors, the Surround Air MT-8500 is a great choice.
It does use a bit more energy than the smaller negative ionizers reviewed due to its extra functions and is listed at 50 watts of power consumption.
Also, keep in mind that you will eventually have to replace the HEPA filter and UV lamp to keep it running at its best. The manufacturer’s estimate this at $25 – $50 per year for replacement filters and UV lamps.
On the positive side, this is the best air cleaning ionizer if you want to remove airborne allergens in six different and proven ways and circulate the air in your room while you do it.
Many reviewers comment on the cooler feel and much-improved air quality once they turn on the Surround Air MT-8500. Some also say it has reduced their respiratory problems and helped with other health issues and illnesses.
I particularly like that you can program the ozone sanitizer for only when you choose, say in the aftermath of a heavy smoker or wet pets in the house.
The negative ion generation is also impressive, especially as the air is being circulated. Combined with the HEPA filter, carbon filtration and germicidal UV lamp, the Surround Air provides some serious air cleaning for your home or office.
The Surround Air Multitech-8500 is my choice for the best all-in-one ionic air purifier.
There’s pictures and visual details of how this ionizing air purifier works here on Amazon and the price is surprising given how much technology is packed into this unit.