What are the Best Bedroom Air Purifiers & Quiet Air Filters for Small Rooms in 2019?
If you are looking for a good air purifier for your bedroom that is quiet, effective and great value, this page has the best small room purifiers available and why they are recommended.
Indoor air pollution can be particularly bad in bedrooms, affecting not just your ability to get to sleep but also your long-term health.
Ahead are the best bedroom air purifiers, quiet HEPA filters and small room air cleaners in 2019, with the pros and cons of each to help you find the right one for you.
Bedroom Air Quality
You spend close to a third of your life sleeping in your bedroom and breathing the air in it.
This makes the quality of that air, and the level of breathable allergens and contaminants in it, very important. Both to how well you sleep that night and to how well you feel the next day.
Research shows that poor indoor air quality in your bedroom can negatively affect your sleep and impact your mood and ability to concentrate the morning after.
It can even take a toll on your general health and immunity, leading to lower energy, regular respiratory problems and increasing your susceptibility to many diseases.
Buying an air purifier for your bedroom, and improving the quality of the air you breathe while you sleep, is a wise investment in your long term health and well-being.
Many people also notice an immediate difference the first morning they wake up after sleeping in purified air. The sore throat and itchy eyes that they thought was normal is gone and they feel much more refreshed.
Longer-term benefits include more energy, improved ability to concentrate, less allergies, fewer colds and flu, a lower risk of many serious diseases and an improvement in cardiovascular health markers.
It’s no overstatement to say a good bedroom air purifier can make a big difference in your life. Indoor air quality is that important to your overall health and wellness.
Common Allergens and Contaminants in Your Bedroom
It’s not just breathing in regular dust and bedding fibers as you sleep that causes respiratory issues and allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, itchy eyes, a blocked nose and a sore throat.
Microscopic dust mite waste products and their decaying body parts are highly allergenic and often the biggest sleep disruptors in your bedroom. Studies found more than 80% of US homes have dust mite allergen concentrations.
Mold spores travel on airborne water droplets throughout your home. Breathing in these microscopic fungi can lower your immunity and increase your chance of sickness.
Pollen arrives into your bedroom when you open windows and settles on bedding, only to puff up into the air with any movement. If you have pets, then microscopic jagged pet dander will do the same.
Toxic volatile organic compounds are also emitted from carpets, curtains, timber flooring and furniture, and even fabric softener used to wash bedding. ‘Air fresheners’ are another hidden source of harmful VOCs.
A well-designed bedroom HEPA air purifier can dramatically reduce these airborne allergens and contaminants and help you get a good night’s sleep to feel your best the following day.
Not all air cleaners are suitable for bedroom use though. Ahead are the 5 best small room air purifiers for bedrooms, pros and cons and why they are recommended.
Quick Comparison of the 5 Best Bedroom Air Purifiers
If you’re short on time, here is a list of the best quiet air purifiers for your bedroom in 2019:
- Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier — H13 medical-grade True HEPA/activated carbon filters; 5 full air changes per hour in a 215 ft² room; small and compact; ultra quiet at 24 dB in sleep mode; innovative design and excellent value.
- ProBreeze 5 in 1 Air Cleaner — True HEPA/activated carbon/cold catalyst multistage filtration; high CADR of 218 m³/hr; optional 10 million pcs/cm3 negative ionizer; long lasting combination filters; soft 30 dB sleep mode; surprisingly low price.
- Hathaspace Smart HEPA Air Filter — True HEPA/activated carbon/cold catalyst/antibacterial filter and optional ionizer; air quality monitor; quietest 18 dB in sleep mode; long warranty and very positive customer reviews.
- Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet Air Purifier — Advanced 6 stage air filtration; largest room coverage and highest number of air changes per hour; best for asthma, allergies and big bedrooms; latest technology and advanced features; virtually silent at just 20 dB in sleep mode; built to last with a 5 year warranty; premium air purifier for large bedrooms.
- KOIOS Small Room HEPA Air Filter — Compact and lightweight; True HEPA/activated carbon air filter at a very low price; energy efficient, no lights and whisper-quiet at 20 dB in sleep mode; best for smaller bedrooms and dorm rooms.
These 5 are chosen from dozens of competitors after many hours of research, reading technical specifications and contacting suppliers to confirm claims and features.
What to Look for in an Air Filter for Your Bedroom
Here are 4 important factors to consider before buying any air purifier for your bedroom:
1. Quiet As Possible
Air cleaners can be noisy but the best air purifiers for sleeping should be as quiet as possible. 30 decibels (equivalent to a soft whisper) and under is better. 20 dB and under is virtually silent.
Some customers comment that HEPA air filters make a sound similar to soft white noise. Regardless, a quiet air purifier will always be better for restful sleep.
2. No Lights
Most HEPA air filter manufacturers still insist on fitting all manner of glowing lights on their products, despite many customer complaints. Blue is particularly bad as it can disrupt melatonin needed to fall asleep.
Any suitable air purifier for bedrooms should either have no nightlight or one that you can turn off in sleep mode. The impressive Rabbit Air MinusA2, reviewed ahead, actually switches lights off automatically when you dim the lights.
3. Effective Air Purification
A ‘True HEPA’ filter (not inferior ‘HEPA like’) for floating particles as small as 0.3 microns and activated carbon for odors and VOCs at a minimum.
Other air cleaning technologies, like antibacterial filters, cold catalyst and negative ions, enhance air purification potential even further.
4. Higher CADR and Air Changes per Hour
CADR, or clean air delivery rate, is a measure of the airflow generated and effectiveness of an air filter at capturing pollutants. The higher the CADR, the bigger the bedroom or other indoor space that can be filtered.
Higher CADR means more air changes per hour (ACH) in smaller rooms. The recommended Levoit, ProBreeze, Rabbit Air and Hathaspace air purifiers reviewed ahead all have impressive clean air delivery rates and air changes per hour.
Consider both the size of your bedroom and how sensitive you are to allergens when you are trying to get to sleep. The bigger the bedroom, and the more allergies you suffer from, the higher the CADR and ACH figures should be in your air purifier.
Keep these 4 factors in mind when deciding which one of the following small room air purifiers would be best for you and your bedroom.
5 Recommended Quiet Air Purifiers and Bedroom Air Filters for a Better Night’s Sleep
When you are looking for the best quiet air purifier to buy for your bedroom, the last thing you need is a top 10 list of extremely similar air cleaners to wade through.
This bedroom air purifier review has done the hard work for you by eliminating dozens of inferior competitors. Only the very best quiet air cleaners and small room air filters in their category have made this list.
After many hours of research, reading technical specifications and contacting manufacturers, these are the 5 best quiet HEPA air purifiers for bedrooms on the market in 2019.
Best HEPA Air Filter for Bedrooms Under $100 — Levoit Core 300 Air Purifier Review
Levoit are a respected company with a reputation for high-quality air purifiers and have made many best-selling models over the years.
The brand new Core 300 True HEPA air cleaner, with customizable pollutant filters, is their latest and perhaps most impressive model yet.
Using an advanced centrifugal fan with 360° intake and VortexAir design for stronger airflow, this Levoit air filter can refresh the air in a 215 ft² (20 m²) bedroom up to 5 times every hour.
In a smaller bedroom under 100 ft² this will be 10 times or more, which is highly beneficial for asthma and allergy sufferers. It would also greatly help combat intruding smoke or other ongoing air pollution entering your bedroom.
Despite its powerful air circulation and purification properties, the Levoit Core 300 is surprisingly low noise. Utilizing proprietary ‘QuietKEAP’ technology, this compact small room air filter is nearly silent at just 24 dB in sleep mode with lights off.
The Core 300 is ozone free (can be sold in California) and is AHAM tested and certified for dust (140), pollen (145) and smoke (141). It also has an outstanding 230+ m³/hr CADR for its small size.
You can check the current price, read customer feedback and see home pictures of this impressive design here on Amazon.
Customizable Pollutant Filters
The newest Levoit air purifier comes fitted with a H13 medical-grade True HEPA filter combined with activated carbon, nylon prefilter and airtight sealing.
This combination is highly effective at removing 99.97% of airborne dust, pollen, pet dander, mold toxins and dust mite allergens in your bedroom. It will also greatly reduce odors and volatile organic compounds.
Unusually, there are also 3 extra options available as replacement filters for the Core 300 – Mold Bacteria (with antibacterial filter), Pet Allergy (for odors, smells and pet allergens), and Toxin Absorber (for toxic gas air pollution and smoke).
All of these different options are for sale here. There’s a filter light on the Levoit to let you know when a replacement is needed, but if you’ve decided on the Core 300 then it makes sense to get an extra one.
Levoit Core 300 Pros and Cons
- Very powerful and technologically advanced little air purifier. AHAM tested and CADR of 230+ m³/hr is better than many larger and more expensive air filters.
- 5 full air changes per hour in a 215 ft² room. Double that in a smaller bedroom 100 ft² or less. Great for asthma and allergy sufferers.
- H13 medical-grade True HEPA/activated carbon filters with Mold Bacteria/Pet Allergy/Toxin Absorber replacement options.
- Auto timer, 3 fan speeds and ultra quiet at 24 dB in sleep mode with no distracting nightlights.
- Small and compact at 8.7 x 14.2 inches and portable at 8.75 pounds. Can be positioned on a table to maximize space in a small bedroom.
- Newest model from a well established and respected brand. 2 year warranty, according to Levoit replying to customers: “if you extend the original one-year by submitting a warranty card”.
- Energy Star verified, ozone free, CARB certified for Californian sale, free shipping and excellent value.
- No negative ionizer. Whilst older negative ion generators had issues with ozone, the latest technology does not. It’s a shame Californian regulation prevents more people from receiving negative ion benefits.
- Levoit admit on their website that there may be a plastic smell when you first unwrap your Core 300. They recommend running it for a few hours in a well-ventilated room on high speed to remove this smell.
There is very little to criticize with a review of the new Levoit Core 300 air purifier.
It’s an exceptionally well-designed and powerful HEPA air filter, yet virtually silent in sleep mode so great for bedroom air purification.
While it could work well in a lounge or living room, smaller rooms like bedrooms will give its best performance. Then again, being lightweight and portable you could even use it in both.
You can check the current price on Amazon here for the highly recommended Core 300. Potentially big savings as this compact and quiet air purifier stacks up well against much more expensive competitors.
Best Value Small Room Air Filter with Negative Ions — ProBreeze 5 in 1 Air Cleaner and Ionizer Review
The new ProBreeze air purifier is another excellent bedroom air filter under $100 with some impressive air purification technology for its low price.
The 5 air cleaning methods used by the ProBreeze are:
- A prefilter to trap floating dust, hairs and larger airborne pollutants. This can be wiped down or vacuumed every couple of months to extend overall filter life.
- A True HEPA filter, recommended by the CDC, to capture dust mite allergens, mold spores, pollen, pet dander and many other forms of indoor air pollution right down to 0.3 microns.
- An activated charcoal filter to absorb odors and harmful VOCs, emitted by flooring, furniture, cleaning products, air fresheners and even fabric softeners.
- A cold catalyst filter to combat airborne viruses, as well as volatile organic compounds like formaldehyde.
- An optional negative ionizer, generating 10 million ions per second, to neutralize any remaining floating pollutants and pathogens.
This ion output is higher than most other bedroom air purifier/ionizers that only have 3 million ions pcs/cm3 or less. Though it can’t match the output of the best negative ion generators here.
The ProBreeze air purifier also boasts an impressive CADR rating of 218 m³/hr, 3 different fan speeds, auto timer and sleep mode at less than 30 dB and lights out.
You can check the current price and read customer feedback and reviews here for this great value small room air purifier and ionizer combination.
ProBreeze 5 in 1 Air Cleaner Pros and Cons
- Negative ion generator producing 10 million ions per cubic centimeter per second. This can be switched on or off. You can read more about negative ion benefits here.
- Large-screen prefilter, True HEPA, activated charcoal and cold catalyst for multistage filtration and combating many different types of airborne pollution. High CADR rating of 218 m³/hr.
- All 4 filters are combined in one easy to replace combination filter and you can find them sold here. Reasonably priced for such a large filter with unusual cold catalyst technology. Also long-lasting at 5000 hours of continuous use (close to 7 months on 24/7).
- CARB tested so ozone safe and can be sold in California, unlike many competing air purifier/ionizers for small rooms and bedrooms.
- Auto timer and 3 fan speeds with sleep mode that keeps the ProBreeze at a very quiet 30 dB or less.
- Manufacturers quote an air cleaning radius of 500 ft² (45 m²). This would definitely be a positive if true but seems a bit overstated. The ProBreeze air purifier is much better in small rooms and bedrooms.
- Whilst a slim design, it’s not as small as the Levoit air purifier. Should sit on the floor, not a bedside table, so might get in the way in a smaller bedroom or dorm room.
- 30 decibels is very quiet but slightly higher than the Levoit or Rabbit Air premium air cleaner ahead and quite a bit more than the near silent Hathaspace air purifier.
- While the ProBreeze is chosen here for bedrooms, there are some other even more powerful ionizer air purifier options here.
The ProBreeze 5 in 1 is an impressive bedroom air cleaner with a high negative ion output compared to most other ionizing air filters on the market. It also offers a cold catalyst filter for viruses and formaldehyde.
Very affordable and highly recommended for small to medium-sized bedrooms. You can check the current price here on Amazon with free delivery.
Quietest Air Purifier for Bedrooms — Hathaspace Smart HEPA Air Filter Review
The stylish Hathaspace Smart air cleaner could be used in any room in your home. It’s particularly good in the bedroom though as it’s the quietest air purifier reviewed here, at a virtually silent 18 decibels in sleep mode and no lights.
This almost noiseless air purifier for bedrooms uses 5 stage filtration, combining a True HEPA filter, activated carbon, antibacterial filter and nano cold catalyst to filter out 99.97 of airborne pollutants and allergens down to an incredibly small 0.3 microns.
There is also an optional negative ionizer, generating 10 million beneficial negative ions per second. These negatively charged ions attach to positively charged contaminants and prevent them from remaining airborne.
The Hathaspace has a smart air quality sensor on the front panel displaying the current indoor air quality. Set in auto mode it will adapt its fan speed in real time to match the current level of indoor air pollution.
This close to silent air purifier also comes with a remote control to operate it from your bedside and can be set on a 1 to 12 hour auto timer while you sleep.
Hathaspace say their whisper-quiet HEPA air cleaner will completely filter the air in a massive 350 ft² room twice in an hour.
You’d get much better performance for sleeping though with 4 air changes or more per hour in a small bedroom under 175 ft². Realistically, most of us sleep in much smaller bedrooms so the air change rate would be even higher.
The company also offers an impressive “60 day moneyback warranty and 2 years of product replacement”, according to their listing and website.
Customer reviews are overwhelmingly positive and you can read them, see home pictures and check the current price here on Amazon.
Hathaspace Smart Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- 5 stage filtration with True HEPA, activated carbon, antibacterial filter, nano cold catalyst and optional ionizer.
- Smart air quality monitor and auto mode that adapts to indoor air pollution in real time.
- Customer reviews and feedback repeatedly mention how good this small room air purifier is for odors and smells.
- Antibacterial filter for additional bacteria capture is an advantage over the other bedroom air purifiers in this review.
- Big filters to trap more floating pollutants. This seems especially important for odors and toxic gases like VOCs. You can find replacement filters to buy here.
- Super quiet air filter at only 18 dB on the low fan sleep mode. Also switches off all lights for undisturbed sleep.
- Long warranty and available for free delivery in California and throughout the USA.
- CADR is only listed at 160 m³/hr which is not as high as most of the other bedroom air purifiers reviewed here. Better for small to medium bedrooms, not large rooms.
- Product dimensions are 7 x 13.5 x 19.5 inches, making this a bigger unit than the ProBreeze or Levoit air purifier. Heavier as well at 12 pounds. Check you’ve got space for it in your bedroom.
- Minuscule but detectable ozone output of 9 ppb. The EPA considers up to 50 ppb safe but this is something to be aware of for people with respiratory problems who may be extra sensitive to ozone.
- Replacement filters are a bit more expensive than the Levoit or ProBreeze air cleaners.
There’s much to like with the Hathaspace Smart air purifier, particularly its whisper-quiet sleep mode and extra antibacterial and nano cold catalyst filters.
Despite being a bigger unit, it doesn’t have quite as many air changes as the Levoit Core 300 or Rabbit Air MinusA2 ahead, so will be best for small rooms, not large spaces.
Customer reviews are extremely positive though, especially regarding smoke and odor reduction, so if your bedroom has a smell that’s keeping you awake at night then the Hathaspace Smart air filter could be the solution.
You can see the current price, customer feedback and people’s home pictures here on Amazon.
Best Quality Air Purifier for Large Bedrooms and Allergy Sufferers — Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier Review
All of the previous small room air purifiers reviewed were very affordable.
The Ultra Quiet Rabbit Air MinusA2 is a step up for those looking for the ultimate bedroom air purifier and who don’t mind paying for something special.
It has a much higher recommended room coverage and number of air changes per hour than any of the previous small room air filters. This makes the MinusA2 highly recommended for asthma and allergy sufferers.
Room Coverage and Air Filtering
The Rabbit Air MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA air purifier has room coverage of a very large 700 ft² with 2 air changes per hour for the SPA-700A model and a massive 815 ft² and 2 air refreshes for the top of the range Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A.
Even at 4 air changes per hour, as recommended for asthma and allergy sufferers, the MinusA2 has a full 350 ft² of room coverage. Clearly this Rabbit Air quiet air purifier can filter a lot of indoor air pollution in larger spaces.
The smaller the room, the higher the number of air changes per hour goes, and the more effective the level of air purification and allergen removal is with this powerful air cleaner.
The Rabbit Air MinusA2 has a 6 stage filtering system for highly effective air purification:
- Stage 1: A washable and permanent prefilter for larger allergens like dust and hair.
- Stage 2: A medium filter for airborne particles larger than 1 micron, like pollen, mold and pet dander.
- Stage 3: BioGS HEPA filter – Rabbit Air’s advanced and long-lasting HEPA filter captures 99.97% of airborne contaminants down to 0.3 microns.
- Stage 4: Customizable filter – You can choose from Toxin Absorber, Odor Remover, Germ Defense and Pet Allergy, depending on your own particular allergen sensitivities.
- Stage 5: Extra sized activated carbon filter made from high-efficiency granular activated charcoal.
- Stage 6: Optional negative ionizer that complies with ozone safety requirements and is CARB tested and approved in California.
Design and Features
This Rabbit Air top of the range silent air filter has a unique big screen TV-like design that’s unlike any other HEPA air purifier I’ve ever reviewed.
It can sit on the floor, a table or be wall mounted (mounting kit included) and also comes in a variety of customizable panel designs, including famous artworks by Van Gogh and Monet.
You can see all of the different color and design options, including the new Wi-Fi enabled/app-controlled models, here on Amazon.
Full of advanced options and features, the MinusA2 air purifier has a remote control, adjustable fan speeds, auto and high pollen mode, indoor air quality indicator, odor sensor, optional ionizer and a light sensor to automatically transition to sleep mode when the lights go out.
At just 20 dB in sleep mode, the Ultra Quiet Rabbit Air MinusA2 is also one of the most silent bedroom air purifiers in this review, despite its much larger size and significant power.
Rabbit Air MinusA2 Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Advanced 6 stage air filtration. Big and wide filters capture more allergens and pollutants than smaller air cleaners and can be customized with special replacement filters.
- Exceptionally large room coverage and high number of air changes per hour. Even in a huge 350 m² room, the Rabbit Air MinusA2 achieves 4 full air purification cycles per hour, often recommended for asthma and allergy sufferers.
- Wall mountable to save space and many advanced features like air quality indicator, high pollen mode, odor sensor and auto sleep mode. Can be controlled by remote control or by phone app with the Wi-Fi model.
- Stylish design and recommended for larger houses and big modern apartments. Especially beneficial for those highly sensitive to indoor air pollution, like allergy and asthma sufferers.
- Virtually silent for bedrooms at just 20 dB in sleep mode. Automatically dims and goes into sleep mode when you switch off lights in the room, becoming one of the quietest air purifiers on the market.
- Top-quality components, long-lasting brushless direct-current motor and excellent 5-year warranty, according to RabbitAir.
- Much higher price point than the other bedroom and small room air purifiers reviewed here. This is a premium air cleaner with a price tag to match. That said, the MinusA2 outperforms many higher priced competitors in air changes per hour and room size coverage.
- This is a big bedroom air filter at 10.7 x 24.2 x 24.5 inches and heavy at 23.9 pounds. Similar in size and weight to a mid-range big screen TV.
- Replacement filters are not cheap but do last up to 2 years. That’s 4 times as long as regular filters so it does even out over the years. You can find them here in the Germ Defense, Odor Remover, Pet Allergy and Toxin Absorber options.
Most small bedrooms will do just fine with the ProBreeze, Hathaspace or Levoit air purifiers previously reviewed.
However, if you want much more air purification for a larger bedroom, or need it because you or a family member suffers from asthma, regular allergies and other breathing problems, then consider investing in the superior Rabbit Air Ultra Quiet MinusA2.
With advanced air cleaning technologies and a 5-year warranty, this high-quality air purifier for bedrooms will give you many years of peaceful sleep and healthier breathing.
You can see more product specifications, read customer reviews, see home pictures and videos and check the current price here for the ultimate in bedroom air purifiers.
Cheap and Compact Small Room Air Filter — KOIOS HEPA Air Cleaner Review
For a very small bedroom or dorm room air purifier at a much lower price, the KOIOS air cleaner is a good value option.
It has a sleek and compact design and, at only 6.5 x 10.2 inches and 4.1 pounds in weight, it’s highly portable and takes up little space in your bedroom.
Best positioned on a bedside table within arms reach of where you sleep, the KOIOS uses 3 small combination True HEPA/activated carbon filters to purify the air of allergens like dust, pollen, mold spores and dust mite waste, that affect your breathing and interrupt vital sleep.
No annoying lights and very quiet at just 20 dB in sleep mode. Customer feedback here on Amazon (the first reviewer is a perfect example) describe why this little air filter makes such a good small bedroom or dorm room air purifier.
KOIOS Quiet Air Filter Pros and Cons
- 3 True HEPA/activated carbon filters to capture airborne allergens right down to 0.3 microns while you sleep and 100% ozone free.
- Small, compact and portable. Can sit on a bedside table and will take up little space in your bedroom or dorm room.
- CADR of 80 m³/hr. This is nowhere near the power of the top choice Levoit Core 300, which is only a bit bigger. It is, however, superior to most similar sized and priced competitors who usually only have 50 m³/hr CADR.
- Energy-efficient, 2 fan speeds, simple controls, no lights and super quiet at 20 dB in sleep mode so well designed for bedrooms.
- Extra long 3-year warranty, according to KOIOS, and lots of positive customer reviews and feedback.
- Great value at such a low price. There’s more of the best cheap air purifiers here.
- This small room air purifier’s low price reflects its limited range. All of the previous 4 bedroom air cleaners reviewed are much better than the KOIOS in CADR and air changes per hour.
- Filters should be changed every 6 months if used regularly. They are a bit lower in price than competitors and you can find them for sale here. Keep in mind this ongoing cost though.
- Even though the KOIOS HEPA air filter doesn’t generate negative ions and is completely ozone free, it still cannot be delivered to California. This is likely because the makers haven’t applied for CARB certification yet.
- If you need to save some space in a small room or bedroom then there are some more good options in the best small air purifiers here.
If you want to save money on an air cleaner for a small room, the KOIOS is a quiet and compact option for smaller bedrooms, dorm rooms and other limited spaces.
Check the current price and read the many helpful customer comments here.
Better Sleep with a Quiet Bedroom Air Purifier
Regularly getting a good night’s rest is essential for your health and wellness, disease prevention and functioning at your best each day.
If you’re waking up feeling even worse than when you went to bed, then dust mite allergens, and other airborne contaminants you breathe while you sleep, are often a big part of the problem.
Customers repeatedly mention how much better their sleep is in reviews of the 5 bedroom air purifiers covered here. Many also note how much more positive they feel the next day after waking up in a bedroom filled with purified air.
I hope one of these recommended quiet air purifiers can bring the same health benefits and positive effects into your bedroom for many nights to come.