What are the Best Value Cheap Air Purifiers in 2019?
If you are looking for an inexpensive air cleaner to filter out allergens and pollutants from the air you breathe at home, this page has the best low cost air purifiers under $100, in some case well under and very affordable.
Just because an air purifier is cheap though, that doesn’t make it good value. There are some important factors to be aware of before you buy a budget air cleaner.
Taking a few minutes now to read about what to look out for with an air purifier in the lower price range, and what to avoid, can save you more money in the long run.
Ahead are the best cheap air purifiers in 2019, their pros and cons and detailed information on why they are recommended.
Why You Need an Air Purifier
According to the EPA, the air inside your home is often more polluted than outdoor air, even in large cities. They also warn there can be serious health risks from the cumulative effects of breathing in this pollution.
Indoor air quality can have a huge impact on your health and well-being so buying an air purifier, even a low cost one, can make a big difference in your home.
Good air purifiers are often expensive. However, it is possible to find a very affordable air cleaner at under $100, or occasionally even under $50, that still filters out the vast majority of airborne contaminants and allergens.
What Makes an Air Purifier Under $100 Good Value?
Just because an air purifier is cheap doesn’t make it worth buying. The wrong one can actually cost you more in the long run.
Look for these 4 features in any air purifier you are considering buying:
1. Uses a ‘True HEPA’ filter which can capture 99.97% of airborne particles down to 0.3 microns. ‘HEPA like’ filters are inferior and best avoided.
2. Has multistage filtration with activated carbon for odors and chemicals at a minimum. Different air cleaning technologies work better for different pollutants.
3. Has a higher CADR (clean air delivery rate) than its competitors. Inexpensive air purifiers won’t usually have a CADR much over 100, but this figure gives you an idea of the air cleaning potential of the unit.
4. Filters last 6 months at a minimum and you can afford them in the long run. Factor in this ongoing cost as filter prices vary.
Quick Comparison of the 4 Best Cheap Air Purifiers Under $100
If you’re in a rush, here is a list of the best budget air purifiers in 2019:
- Pro Breeze PB-P01 5 in 1 Air Purifier — Very high 218 m³/hr CADR for big rooms; large True HEPA and activated carbon filter; special cold catalyst filter for formaldehyde and viruses; optional 10 million negative ions per second.
- Levoit Core 300 Compact Air Cleaner — 5 air changes per hour in a big 215 ft² room; excellent CADR rating of 230 m³/hr; H13 True HEPA/activated carbon filters; compact and very quiet at 24 dB in sleep mode; stylish design and great value.
- SilverOnyx A800 3 in 1 Purifier — Excellent value for the price; medical-grade H13 HEPA; activated carbon for odors and chemicals; optional 5 million per second negative ionizer; best for smaller rooms.
- KOIOS PM1220 Compact HEPA Air Filter — Inexpensive True HEPA/activated carbon air cleaner; 100% ozone-free; super quiet so good for bedrooms; extra long warranty and lots of positive customer reviews.
These cheap air cleaners are chosen from hours of detailed research, reading product specs, contacting sellers and eliminating many inferior competitors.
4 Limitations of Low-Cost Air Purifiers
1. Most discount air filters at the lower price points have weak fans and can only clean the air in a small area. Many poorly made models struggle with removing pollutants in even a small bedroom, as customer feedback often shows.
2. Some use inferior ‘HEPA like’ filters rather than True HEPA to cut costs. Avoid any HEPA filter based air purifier that doesn’t clearly state that it uses True HEPA at a minimum.
3. Many lack multistage filtration with different air cleaning technologies. Low-priced HEPA only air purifiers won’t clean the air as well as those that combine other technologies, like activated carbon, cold catalyst and a negative ionizer.
4. One scam practice to be aware of is manufacturers selling discounted air purifiers at under $50, then pricing the replacement filters at nearly the same amount as the original unit.
A cheap air purifier with an overpriced filter that needs to be replaced every 3 to 6 months is false economy in the long run.
Always check the price of replacement filters of any HEPA-based air purifier you are considering and factor in the cost over several years.
If you want to avoid buying filters at all then consider the best negative ionizers here, which clean the air with a different technology and never need filter replacement.
The 4 Best Cheap Air Purifiers That are Actually Worth Buying
Most affordable air purifier reviews list a top 10 (it often appears the first 10 they found on Amazon). This is a lazy practice that wastes your time when looking for the best value air purifier to buy.
Each one of the 4 inexpensive air purifiers below are specifically chosen as the superior choice from dozens of similar competitors. I’ve examined them all so you don’t have to.
After many hours of research, reading technical specifications and contacting manufacturers, these are the 4 best cheap air purifiers for your home in 2019.
Top Affordable Air Purifier/Ionizer Under $100 — Pro Breeze 5 in 1 Air Cleaner Review
As a general rule, air purifiers less expensive than $100 should only be considered effective for smaller spaces, not a big lounge or living room.
However, the new Pro Breeze PB-P01 5 in 1 air purifier breaks this rule with an unusually high CADR of 218 m³/hr, according to the manufacturer. Their user manual also states that this air cleaner is suitable for large rooms up to 500 ft² (45 m²).
Despite this, the Pro Breeze is surprisingly low here on Amazon for such a strong air cleaner with multistage filtration and so many different features.
It comes with a large surface True HEPA filter with prefilter to trap floating dust and allergens, such as pollen, mold spores, pet dander and toxic dust mite and cockroach waste products.
There are also two more layers to this air cleaning filter. The first is a big activated carbon filter to absorb bad odors and airborne chemicals, like toxic volatile organic compounds from furniture and cleaning products.
On the last filtration stage is a special cold catalyst filter to neutralize formaldehyde, as well as viruses and any other remaining airborne pathogens. This technology is not usually seen in such an affordable air purifier like this.
All of these four stages of air cleaning are combined in one combination replacement filter you can see here. It’s comparatively good value for such a large air cleaning unit.
In addition to all of these different air filtration technologies, the Pro Breeze also boasts an optional negative ion generator, producing 10 million negative ions per second.
This extra function can be switched on and off but it really does boost air cleaning and negative ion benefits can even enhance concentration and fight fatigue.
This budget air purifier has also being tested as producing virtually undetectable ozone levels, meaning it can be shipped to California on Amazon.
Finally, while this doesn’t affect air cleaning potential, the Pro Breeze 5 in 1 air purifier is quite a stylish unit for its low price with a clean white minimalist design.
There’s also features like auto timers, 3 fan speeds and super quiet sleep mode that you wouldn’t normally expect with such an inexpensive air purifier.
Pro Breeze 5 in 1 Pros and Cons
- High CADR (clean air delivery rate) of 218 m³/hr and recommended for larger rooms up to 500 ft² (45 m²). This is the best affordable air purifier/ionizer for bigger spaces I’ve seen.
- Combination prefilter, True HEPA, activated charcoal and cold catalyst filter to trap 99.97% of dust, allergens and other indoor air pollution.
- Optional negative ionizer with 10 million ions per second output and virtually undetectable ozone levels so safe for delivery to California.
- Stylish design, 3 fan speeds, sleep mode for the evening and 1, 2 and 4 hour auto timer.
- Combination filters are relatively cheap for so much air cleaning technology. Pro Breeze recommends changing these after 5000 hours. That’s nearly 7 months of 24/7 use so much longer if you use the built-in timer.
- Will use a little more power than the 3 smaller low cost air filters reviewed ahead. It’s also a bigger unit and should be placed at least a foot away from furniture and walls.
- For the low price, the Pro Breeze is hard to beat, but it can’t really match the best air purifier ionizers here. Obviously the cost is higher there though.
For the best air purifier under $100 the Pro Breeze 5 in 1 is excellent value. This much air cleaning technology is rarely seen in such an inexpensive air cleaner, especially in this larger size.
You can check the current price and read some of the hundreds of positive reviews here. Highly recommended as the best affordable air purifier/ionizer for larger rooms when you’re on a tight budget.
Best HEPA Air Filter Under $100 — Levoit Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier Review
Levoit have a strong reputation for making quality HEPA air purifiers. The brand new Core 300 True HEPA air filter is their newest and best value model yet.
Using an advanced ‘VortexAir’ centrifugal fan with 360° air intake, this deceptively powerful Levoit air filter can refresh the air in a large 215 ft² room up to 5 times per hour.
In a smaller room under 100 ft² this will be 10 times or more, which is great for people with allergies, asthma and other respiratory problems.
This strong airflow is also particularly important for purifying the air of gas pollution, such as traffic fumes, cigarette smoke and volatile organic compounds from household flooring and furniture.
Despite its strong air purification, the Core 300 is almost noiseless on low fan. The unique design and airtight sealing allow this great value air filter to operate at a whisper-quiet 24 dB in sleep mode.
The Levoit Core 300 is AHAM Verifide and tests very well for dust (140), pollen (145) and smoke (141) for its small size. It also has an excellent CADR 230 m³/hr rating. A figure rarely seen in such an inexpensive air purifier.
100% ozone-free and can be delivered to California. You can see customer reviews and pictures and check the price of this powerful air cleaner here on Amazon.
Custom Replacement Filters
The Core 300 comes with a high-quality H13 medical-grade True HEPA filter combined with activated carbon and prefilter already fitted.
Levoit’s H13 HEPA filters can capture 99.97% of airborne dust, pollen, mold spores, pet dander and dust mite waste in your bedroom. They also work well to absorb odors, smoke and VOCs.
In a new 2019 feature, there are 3 different filter replacement options available, alongside the regular HEPA/carbon filter. These are: Toxin Absorber (for toxic gas air pollution and smoke); Mold Bacteria (with antibacterial filter); and Pet Allergy (for odors, smells and pet allergens) .
The 4 different replacement filters are available for sale here. As a helpful feature, a filter warning light on the top lets you know when to change them out.
If you do decide to buy this great value Levoit air purifier for your home then it’s much easier to get one of these replacement filters at the same time.
Levoit Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- Exceptional value for so much air cleaning power. There are cheaper choices in this budget air purifier review but, with the exception of the Pro Breeze, they cannot match the Core 300’s effectiveness.
- 5 air changes per hour in a 215 ft² room. Double that in a smaller room 100 ft² or under. Recommended for people with regular allergies or asthma.
- Extremely powerful for its small size. CADR of 230 m³/hr is stronger than many bulkier and more expensive air cleaners.
- Superior H13 medical-grade True HEPA filter combined with activated carbon. Pet Allergy/Toxin Absorber/Mold Bacteria replacement filter choices.
- 3 fan speeds, automatic on/off timer and extremely quiet at 24 dB in sleep mode with no lights.
- Stylish, compact and portable at 14.2 x 8.7 inches and 8.75 pounds. Can be placed on a table to save space in smaller rooms.
- Latest release from a respected and well established company with all their best technology.
- 2 year warranty, according to Levoit’s website and replying to customers on their listing: “if you extend the original 1 year by submitting a warranty card”.
- Guaranteed 100% ozone-free, CARB certified for California delivery, Energy Star verified, free shipping and currently exceptional value.
- Not the cheapest air purifier in this review but still great value for how well it works as an air cleaner.
- No negative ion generator, unlike the Pro Breeze and SilverOnyx air purifiers.
- Levoit’s website warns that there may be a plastic smell when you first use the Core 300. They suggest running it on high fan speed for several hours in a well-ventilated room to get rid of this smell.
There is very little not to like with the latest Core 300 True HEPA air purifier from Levoit. It’s a well-engineered and extremely powerful compact HEPA air filter at an affordable price.
Effective air purification for small to medium-sized lounge and living rooms, home offices, kitchens to get rid of smoke and cooking smells, and especially good in bedrooms with its quiet operation.
See the many positive customer reviews and the current price here for the highly recommended Levoit Core 300 True HEPA air purifier.
Best Low-Cost Air Cleaner — SilverOnyx 3 in 1 Air Purifier Review
SilverOnyx make high-quality air purifiers and this compact and inexpensive 3 in 1 air cleaner is their entry-level model.
While this is not the cheapest air purifier you can possibly buy, it is one of the best value ones. Here’s why.
Most air cleaners under $50 use ‘HEPA like’ filters of poor quality. Even ‘True HEPA’ filters are almost always H11 standard only in discount air purifiers like this.
By comparison, the SilverOnyx air purifier uses medical-grade H13 HEPA. This more tightly weaved filter is better at trapping fine particles and allergens, like mold spores, bacteria and dust mite waste products.
It’s highly unusual to see H13 HEPA used in such an affordable air filter. Generally, you’d be looking at much larger air purifier ionizers, like the excellent Medify one here, for a H13 filter.
There are two more reasons why the SilverOnyx is the best value air purifier for its low price.
The first is its two activated charcoal filters. Most cheap air cleaners combine one thin layer of odor absorbing charcoal on the back of their HEPA filter.
The SilverOnyx has two charcoal filters that are quite thick for their small size. This means more chance to trap cigarette smoke, cooking smells, pet odors and harmful VOCs within activated charcoal’s porous structure.
Lastly, the SilverOnyx air purifier has an optional negative ion generator, producing 5 million pcs/cm3, according to the user manual.
This can be switched on or off, but it’s better left on to neutralize airborne contaminants and for the many health benefits of negative ions.
SilverOnyx Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- 2 Medical-grade H13 HEPA filters for dust, pollen, pet dander and dust mites.
- 2 activated charcoal filters for smoke, odors and volatile organic compounds.
- Optional 5 million per second negative ion generator to counteract tiring positive ions and indoor air pollution.
- PM 2.5 (particulate matter) sensor and air quality indicator.
- Timer function for auto on and off and 2 fan speeds at a whisper-quiet 25 dB and still low 40 dB.
- Compact design at 9.8 x 12.5 inches and only weighing 2.9 pounds. Light and portable.
- Long-lasting brushless DC fan and 1 year warranty, according to the manufacturer.
- Established company and better customer reviews and feedback than similar priced competitors.
- This is a smaller air purifier so don’t expect it to clean the air in a large room. The manual recommends 160 ft² room as optimal. With a lower CADR of 83 m³/hr though, the smaller the room the better this low cost HEPA filter will work.
- Filters should be replaced every 6 months for best air purification and you can find them on sale here. As a helpful tip, brushing or gently vacuuming the filters on the outfacing HEPA side every month or two extends filter life.
- Not as powerful as its big brother model with extra 5 stage air filtration, though significantly less expensive when you’re on a budget and more than adequate for smaller spaces.
- Cannot be shipped to California due to state laws equating ionization with ozone. SilverOnyx replied “this product does not generate ozone” to customer questions on the topic. It appears they have not applied for CARB testing though.
The SilverOnyx air purifier packs quite a bit of air cleaning technology into an inexpensive yet high-quality unit. It has H13 medical-grade HEPA, activated charcoal for odor absorption and 5 million beneficial negative ions per second.
With air purifiers, cheap doesn’t usually mean good value, but the SilverOnyx is a rare exception. If you’re looking for an affordable air cleaner for a smaller room I’d recommend checking the current price on Amazon here.
Best Cheap HEPA Air Purifier Without Ionizer — KOIOS Air Cleaner Review
Some people don’t want any ionization function on their air purifier, even in optional one, like with the Pro Breeze and SilverOnyx cheap air cleaners above.
Also, if you live in California, it can be difficult to get a good value air purifier with negative ions due to state laws.
For the best cheap HEPA filter based option, consider this new KOIOS air purifier on Amazon with free shipping and an extra long 3 year warranty according to the seller’s listing.
It has 3 stage filtration with a fine preliminary filter, True HEPA and activated carbon filter. Combined, KOIOS say this budget air purifier will clean 99.97% of airborne particles and odors.
It also has low power consumption and runs quietly so good for bedrooms. Plus it doesn’t seem to have any of those blue lights many cheap air purifier manufacturers insist on adding, despite customer complaints.
There are actually several similar but slightly cheaper designs on Amazon. Despite this, I think the KOIOS HEPA air filter is much better value for only slightly more cost. Here’s why.
First of all, it has a clean air delivery rate of 80 m³/hr versus 50 m³/hr for most competitors. This is a significant difference at this price point.
It also has much more positive customer reviews and feedback than any of the similarly-priced budget air purifiers I’ve reviewed.
Finally, it has the longest warranty and slightly lower cost filters than any other cheap HEPA air purifiers I’ve found with my research.
KOIOS HEPA Air Purifier Pros and Cons
- True HEPA to filter out fine particles down to 0.3 microns, plus prefilter and activated carbon for odors and chemicals. Guaranteed ozone-free.
- Low power usage, 2 fan speeds and very quiet operation so ideal for bedrooms.
- Extra long warranty and lots of highly positive customer feedback.
- Better value and quality than similar affordable HEPA/activated carbon air purifier combinations.
- This is still a small and cheap air purifier that cannot be expected to clean the air in a large room. Best for bedrooms and smaller living spaces.
- The 3 stage filters need to be changed every 6 months and you can find them here. They are actually less than those for similarly priced competitors but factor in this ongoing expense.
- Whilst good value, claims that this little air cleaner will effectively filter strong odors like cigarette smoke seem overstated. For this you need a special air purifier for smoke.
- While this is one of the best cheap HEPA air filters for the price, for not a great deal more you could have one of these much more powerful and highly recommended bedroom air purifiers.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive air purifier without ionizer at the lower end of the market, yet still good value, check the current price of the KOIOS here. It looks the best choice in a crowded field.
Saving Money on Air Purifiers
Consider the size of the room you will use your air cleaner in before buying one of these cheap air purifiers for your home.
If it’s anything larger than a small room I’d recommend the powerful Levoit Core 300 or the Pro Breeze 5 in 1 as the best under $100. Alternatively, invest a little more into one of the best ionic air purifiers here.
For smaller spaces, this compact and inexpensive SilverOnyx on Amazon does represent great value. One of these recommended desktop air purifiers could also be worth considering.
I hope this review of the best cheap air purifiers and low-cost air filters has saved you both time and money. Once you find the right one it can start protecting your family from the damaging effects of indoor air pollution.
This article may contain affiliate links to products I recommend. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.